Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Vietnamese Honeycomb Cake Revisited


After I visited a Vietnamese Baguette restaurant and they gave me few pieces of honeycomb cake to try, I realized that I haven't been making this cake for a long time.  So, it prompted me to give it a try again.  I got the honeycomb effect and it seem successful, however, I found it on the dry side.  I have no idea why, do you think I baked it for too long?  or I need to add more coconut milk?  Why it is dried?



Recipe courtesy of TT, Playing with My Food. 

Ing:
-200ml thick coconut milk/cream (200ml = 1/2 can)
-1 cup sugar (I used 1 1/4 cup)
-6 eggs
-2 cups tapioca starch
-2 1/2 tsp baking powder (single acting, NEVER use double acting) {Will cut it down to 2 tsp.}
-pandan leaves or extract (I used 1 tsp.) (optional)

What to Do:
1) Boil together coconut milk and sugar (add pandan leaves to 'syrup' if you want) until sugar dissolves, cool compleatly.


2) Mix together baking powder and tapioca.


3) Beat eggs and add syrup (1) then add to tapioca mix (3). Mix everything together until smooth.  Pour into an 8" square pan.


4) Bake at 350'F for about 45 mins, or until golden.

Reference:
VinhlongVN from www.datviet.com

No comments: