Monday, June 03, 2013

Spicy Eggplant with Chicken


Eggplant or aubergine is from a nightshade family of vegetables such as potato, tomato and sweet peppers.  It is a good source of vitamins and minerals and has phytonutrients which have antioxidant activities.  However, it is not suitable for people with kidney and gallbladder problems.

I do like to buy eggplant occasionally because I try to eat variety of vegetables with different colors.  I can't buy it often because my hubby and my girls are not a fan of this vegetable, so whenever I cook this, they only eat the chicken.

Are you someone who tries to buy different fruits and vegetables every time you go grocery shopping?  Since we shop at the Asian supermarkets, our selections are wider and there are lots of different green vegetables, root vegetables that we can buy.  Next time, try to vary your choice of vegetables instead of sticking to the few that you like.



Ingredients:
   
1 Japanese eggplant, washed and cut into slices and then put into salted water
1/2 chicken breast, cut into small cubes, season with sea salt, white pepper, rice wine and sesame oil.
1-2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 bunch of cilantro, cut into 1/2 cup
1 Tbsp. 老妈's chili in oil
1 Tbsp. Lee Kum Kee's oyster sauce

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add cooking oil of your choice.  Drain the sliced eggplant and add into the oil and quickly stir-fry it.  When soften, dish out and set aside.

2.  In the same wok, add in more oil.  Add aromatic shallot and stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in chicken cubes and stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink.  Add in the chili in oil and oyster sauce and eggplant.  Stir-fry well.  Add a little water if needed.  Lastly add in the cilantro and mix well.  Serve on a plate.



4 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

My kids don't fancy about eggplant , so I seldom cook them . Your sound good!

Juliana said...

I love eggplant so this combination with chicken is just perfect...looks very tasty with a hint of chili oil and oyster sauce.
Thanks for the recipe Ching and hope you are enjoying your week :)

Irina @ wandercrush said...

Ahhhh yum, spicy eggplant is one of my favourite childhood dishes. I still make my mum cook it for me whenever I come home! This looks delicious and brings back memories!

Helen said...

I love eggplant. Thanks for posting this recipe. My dad always makes eggplant but he never tells me how he makes it. I'll definitely try making this.