Monday, March 18, 2013

Avocado Milkshake with Gula Melaka


Gula Melaka as we said it in Malaysia or palm sugar is made by extracting the sap from the flower bud of a coconut tree.  It is very fragrant and has the deep dark brown color and used in many Malaysian dessert.  I made the avocado milkshake before using the chocolate sauce and my readers commented that I can substitute the chocolate sauce with Gula Melaka which I thought was brilliant.  Finally the avocado was on sales again and I couldn't wait to try this.  It was indeed delicious but I think you need to like avocado to really enjoy this dessert.



~Serves 2.

Ingredients:

1 ripe avocado, washed, cut into half, take out the seed and scoop out the flesh
130ml 1% fresh milk
1 cup crushed ice
Gula Melaka syrup/ Palm sugar syrup

Method:

1.  In a blender, add in crushed ice, milk and avocado.  Process/puree until smooth.  

2.  Pour into prepared glass and top with Gula Melaka syrup.

3.  To prepare Gula Melaka syrup:  In a small saucepan, add in some water and Gula Melaka.  Let it boil until Gula Melaka is dissolved.  Simmer it further to thicken the syrup.  Let cool and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.



5 comments:

Holiday Baker Man said...

Wow! this is a little out there for my Western taste buds.... could be very interesting!

tigerfish said...

How did you make your avocado milkshake that it has "Tau Huey" (soy bean curd/pudding" texture!! Woah!


Janine said...

This reminds me of chendol, just that it's healthier because you used avocado! Looks super delish though!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

with gula melaka, sound interesting!

Kate @ Only Cake Pops said...

Heh, I'm inclined to agree with Holiday Baker Man about the westernized taste buds. But I do love avocado, and I guess you only live once. Would be a heck of a signature drink to make for guests too. I'm going to give it a try!