Monday, August 20, 2012

Roti Jala with Chicken Curry


Roti Jala is a Malay cuisine where 'roti' means bread and 'jala' means net.  You need a special roti jala mould with five holes to make this fish net looking crepe. You can buy the plastic roti jala mould in the bakery supply stores in Malaysia for only RM$1 each, very cheap.  It's texture is more like a soft crepe and the yellow color is derived from the turmeric powder.  It mostly serves with curry or rendang.

My chicken curry is made from A1 chicken curry paste.  I added red onion and used boneless and skinless dark chicken meat.  I was thinking of serving it with frozen roti canai that I bought recently but then I saw Sonia's roti jala post and decided to give it a try.  I bought the roti jala mould for years but never tempted to make it.  Glad to say that I finally did it and since it was pretty easy to make, would love to make it once in a while from now on.



This is a recipe courtesy of Sonia, I half the recipe for my small family.  I needed to add more water in order to make a lacy pattern with this recipe. Thanks Sonia for sharing the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 200g all-purpose flour
  • 100g milk
  • 220g water (add more as needed)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
  • 1 Tbsp. oil

Method:

1.  Add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.  Sift the batter and wait for 30 minutes.

2.  Test the batter with your roti jala mould to see whether it will run smoothly via the dripping holes.  It should be of runny consistency.  If not, add more water until the desired consistency is achieved.  It should be able to form circular motion and make lacy pattern.

3.  Heat up a non-stick pan on medium heat.  Place the roti jala mould on the hot pan and pour some of the batter into the mould.  Quickly make circular motion to form a lacy pattern on the pan.  Let it set, do not flip while cooking.  When set on top, fold it in half and then half again to make a fan shape.  Or you can place the whole thing on a plate and roll it up swissroll style.  Serve with chicken curry or any kind of curry of your choice. 


11 comments:

Food For Tots said...

Your roti jala and curry made my mouth water. That's my all-time favourite!!

tigerfish said...

Never had roti jala with curry before. Roti pratha with curry, yes. Need to try roti jala one day.

Rack of Lam said...

That looks really good, like it came straight out of a Malaysian restaurant!

Stephanie said...

Those looks so cool! I've never seen them before but I'm going to google it and see if there are available in Canada

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Your roti jala is very well done, I like the design very much.

daphne said...

it looks so gd! i stand by a1 curry too.

Anh said...

these look perfect! I have always wanted to make these roti jala!

Noob Cook said...

already started drooling all the way from facebook (where I first saw the pic) to here :p

Unknown said...

waa! I havent tried making roti jala beforeeeeeeeee

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for your shout out! yes, you have to add more water if using traditional mould..

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

I used to use the A1 paste too but I have switched to Tean's. I found A1 had a strong "soapy" flavour but it could be just me. Do you add anything else to the paste? I find marinating the chicken with oyster sauce for 1 hour and adding julienne ginger, cloves, tamarine juice and lemongrass to the paste gives the curry a nice flavour.