Saturday, April 14, 2012

Korean Red Pepper Sauce (Goit-Chu Jang)


I was fascinated while I was reading the Dok Suni cookbook.  In her book, she mentioned that her mother used to make the red pepper sauce, then store it in a jar, refrigerated, and used it in cooking or served as a dipping sauce.  This red pepper sauce is a staple seasoning for many Korean dishes and it is made with red pepper paste.

I didn't know there was such thing as red pepper sauce, I always thought it was the red pepper paste that was served a the dipping sauce.  My bad!  Anyway, as I was curious I wanted to make it and tried it myself.  I thought it was kinda bland so I added sugar and sesame oil.  You can experience with the first four ingredients and do a taste test and see how you like it, if you think like me then add the sugar and sesame oil.  :)

I used this in my Korean BBQ meal.  Take a piece of red leaf lettuce, add a piece of grilled chicken, add some seasoned radish, seasoned beansprout, soy sauce anchovies and top with this red pepper sauce, wrap it nicely and in the mouth it goes.  How good is that?  I also used this sauce in my bibimbap.  Yummy!


A peek inside the jar!

Inspired from Dok Suni cookbook.  I added sugar and sesame oil for my personal taste.

Just added:  Read my Facebook tips for another version without oil and water.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. cane sugar
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil

Method:

1.  In a small saucepan, add in the first four ingredients.  Turn the heat to medium and stirring occasionally.  Stir for about 20 minutes or until oil separated.  Add in cane sugar and sesame oil, stir until sugar dissolve, about 2 minutes.

2.  Cool completely before pouring into a glass jar and store in a refrigerator.

3.  Use as a dipping sauce or use it to marinate chicken or pork.

11 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

How many uses I can find for this!

Adina said...

I'll give it a try tomorrow,love it!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

you are really a big Korean food supported..

Nava K said...

I am not sure whether I can find Korean peppers over here and wonder if I can use the normal red pepper available to make it.

This makes a perfect dipping with meals and add another variety besides the sambal belacan I have on stand-by in my fridge.

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

I've been wanting to make gochujang paste for bimbimbap (my fav!). reading about your sauce makes me want to make the paste soon! sigh.. i'm so greedy, so many recipes on my list to try, but not enough time :)

Noob Cook said...

looks like a really versatile and tasty sauce!

daphne said...

What a versatile sauce!! I didn't know you can make it easily at home!

My Asian Kitchen said...

wow!! you're really into Korean dishes!! actually Korean dish are healthy and less oil..Mishu said korean food taste yucky.lol!! she still prefer Msia food!

tigerfish said...

I can see that you are really into Korean cooking. Now you even make your own red pepper sauce and you make it sounds easy.

Juliana said...

This sauce is sure great to have it handy :)
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week!

Stephanie said...

Looks like a good staple to have on hand to add a little bit of spice!