Friday, November 04, 2011

Steamed Pumpkin Kuih 2 (蒸南瓜糕点)


This makes a delicious breakfast, afternoon snack, dessert, supper or even lunch.  With the abundance of pumpkin this holidays season, why not give this a try?  I used my old recipe here but this time I used fresh pumpkin to make this.  I steamed the cut pumpkin for 30 minutes and then just chopped it into small pieces with my cleaver.  You can squeeze some water out before adding into the rice flour batter for firmer texture.

Since the steamed pumpkin contained more water, the resulted pumpkin kuih is moist and soft unlike the steamed taro kuih even though the methods are the same.  Serve this with crispy fried shallots, chopped scallion and sriracha sauce.

The undress pumpkin kuih

10 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

An unusual breakfast! Would love to try.

Cooking Gallery said...

I have never thought that you could do it with pumpkin! I only am familiar with the taro and radish versions. Looks very yummy nonetheless :)!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Actually I prefer taro steamed cake than pumpkin, eventhough both are great. Your look good too .

Nava K said...

unique with the pumpkin though I am sure you are aware its with yam most of the time.

That pumpkin brought out a slight tinge of yellow color, making it tempting.

My Asian Kitchen said...

this look interesting!!

Little Inbox said...

It must be sweeter with pumpkin right?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Little Inbox, yes I think it's sweeter than taro. It's sweet and savory at the same time. I'm going to make it again tomorrow. :)

tigerfish said...

Definitely I like savory pumpkin kuih...

too bad I can't do any slicing of pumpkin (and other hard squashes)...:(

daphne said...

That looks so good.. and makes breakfast far more interesting. So versatile as well- can have as a snack and even a light lunch.

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

very nice! The pumpkin must add a nice sweetness :)