Saturday, June 04, 2011

Stir Fried Konnyaku Slice (炒半边腰花)


I went to my Asian market when they were having a cooking demonstration day.  I discovered this Konnyaku slice or 半边腰花 at the Lee Kum Kee's cooking booth.  Frankly it was my first time seeing this vegetarian thingy but it reminded me of the kidney that my mom used to make soup.  I got a sample and really loved the texture of this springy Konnyaku slices.  I loved it so much that I bought a packet of this and the LKK sauce that went with it.  I will show you the picture of the packet and the LKK sauce in the next page.  It was my first time trying this sauce as well and really loved it.  The store manager told me they used this sauce to pour on their steamed fish.  Now I know what sauce the restaurant used for their fishes.  Hehehe...


I pan-fried some cut firm tofu and then stir-fried with these Konnyaku slices with the LKK sauce.  Very easy to make and the sauce went well with rice.  The Konnyaku slice can be found at the frozen section of the market.  Just thaw it in the refrigerator a day before use or take some out and soak in water to thaw.


This is a picture of the thawed Konnyaku slice, I bought it for $4+, forgot the exact price.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 or 1 packet of Konnyaku Slice
  • 1/2 firm tofu, cut into one inch slices, pat dry with paper towel
  • Lee Kum Kee's seasoned soy sauce for seafood to taste

Method:

1.  In a heated wok with oil, pan-fry the sliced firm tofu until golden brown on both sides.  Dish out and set aside.

2.  In the same wok, add in the konnyaku slices and stir-fry for a while.  Then add in the fried tofu slices and season with some LKK seasoned soy sauce for seafood (about 2 Tbsp.), add a little water if you want.  Serve hot!

(This sauce is salty and sweet)

11 comments:

Basic Meatloaf Recipe said...

Awesome post! It's really helpful for me. Thanks a lot for sharing.

ICook4Fun said...

They do look very much like tofu and kidney. I do see some konnyaku here but they were greyish color. Not like the one you showed here. I have to look out for this the next time I go to the Asian store.

Torviewtoronto said...

new to me I haven't seen this before

daphne said...

I'm actually abit confused if this is a vegetable? it looked like a fish cake to me.. oops!

Jocie's Mom said...

Cool :) Never seen this before either but it sounds lovely! Thanks for sharing

Belinda @zomppa said...

Looks so interesting - I would LOVe to give this a try!

Unknown said...

wow i've never tried this! looks so cute!!! and yes they do remind me of kidney too

pigpigscorner said...

I've never seen or heard of Konnyaku slice. Does it have any taste? Like rice cakes?

Food For Tots said...

I had seen something similar over here but I don't know how to cook it. Hehehe!! Your method sounds so easy to follow and delicious too. ;)

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

I've only had konnyaku slices in Japanese simmered dishes and not stir-fried...thanks for sharing! :)

tigerfish said...

I never tried vegetarian 腰花. Looks like kidney or "scored" sotong? ;p