Friday, April 15, 2011

[S$20 Budget Meal] Ginger Chicken with Rice Wine, Spicy KangKong and Laver Anchovies Soup


Recently, I spotted a  Singapore "$20 Budget Meal" event that got me interested.  For US dollar, it would be $15 Budget Meal.  You have to cook two dishes and a soup or a one dish meal that priced less than S$20/ US$15.  Frankly, I never really counted how much each dinner that I prepared at home cost me.   But I believe it would be less than $15.  For April, one of the dishes must have an egg as an ingredient, so above was what we had on April 11, 2011 which I submitted to this event.

I am submitting this to "S$20 Budget Meal"  or "US$15 budget meal" hosted by Cuisine Paradise.





Dried Laver (野生紫菜)Anchovies Soup.  The cost of this soup is US$1.00.  The recipe can be found here

Cost of ingredients:
Dried laver - 50 cent
2 medium eggs - 20 cent (on sales)
1/4 of a carrot - 10 cent
1/4 cup of dried anchovies - 20 cent


Spicy KangKong/Morning Glory/ On Choy with shrimp paste in soy bean oil.  The cost of this dish is US$2.24.  The recipe can be found here.

Cost of ingredients:
Kangkong - $1.50
1 Shallot - 20 cent
Shrimp paste in soy bean oil - 54 cent


Ginger Chicken with Rice Wine.  The cost for this dish is US$1.80.  This recipe can be found here.

Cost of ingredients:
1 skinless and boneless chicken breast - $1.30 (on sales)
Ginger - 25 cent
Wood Ear - 25 cent
Fermented sweet glutinous rice wine - FREE (given by a friend)

The sweet glutinous rice wine

I added the wine and residue together in stir-frying this dish thus the cloudy gravy you see above.  But sweet and flavorful.

To sum thing up, the above meal only cost me US$5.04.  Served 4.  A healthy home cook meal at a fairly cheap price.  All you need to have is a little time at home to prepare this wonderful meal for you and your family.  By doing this event and really sat down and counted the amount of each ingredient I spent on this meal made me realized that home cook meal is really cheap.  :-)  Imagine, for $20, I can eat four meals at home!!

11 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

$5??? I need to come eat with you!

daphne said...

I'm actually really liking the series! Going to participate this time round! good choice of dishes-esp with rice wine ginger chicken! yum yum yum!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like that ginger chicken, next time I also want to use boneless chicken to cook, kids prefer boneless. Thanks for inspired me.Have a lovely weekend.

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Everything looks great! And to be under $15.00? EVEN better :)

Unknown said...

Very nice!

Normally I budget my home cooked meals at around HK$50 = around USD6.5 (for 3 adult x 2 meals - dinner & lunch bento) including at least 1 meat dish & 1 vegetable dish or 2-in-1 or sometimes using tofu/egg. As expected, we went over budget very often. Inflation :(

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

Mmmm nice, just perfect for a weeknight :) I feel the same with daphne, makes me want to participate too!

Our Eyes Eat First said...

great idea!! 20 bucks and a beautiful meal - youre awesome

tigerfish said...

Hee hee, in the US, eating at home is definitely cheaper, and healthier, and more nutritious.

Cuisine Paradise said...

OMG~!~! US$5.04! You only spent sooo little and yet your dishes are all sooo yummy!!!!! I love the chicken with rice wine.... :) Thanks for supporting us in this event.

Little Inbox said...

If in Malaysia, for the budget of S$20, I can cook up few meals, LOL.
I believe the home made rice wine chicken taste good!

Babe_KL said...

seriously prices in KL is soaring but I think SGD20, we can hv quite a lavish meal here :p