Friday, April 29, 2011

Mu- Saengchae (Spicy Korean Radish )


I saw this dish in a Korean cookbook and immediately felt a urge to make it at home.  I combined two recipes together to bring out the best spicy Korean radish dish for myself.  I liked this as it was spicy and went well with rice or jajangmyeon.

Usually this is served as a Korean side dish called Banchan (반찬).  I ate it with rice and toasted seaweed, made Korean pancake, made omelet with it, added it in my Korean spicy instant noodle, or just have it as a side dish to my everyday meal.  Surprisingly my little Edda loves this and she didn't complaint that this was spicy.  I guess I trained them well.  Evy on the other hand, doesn't like this banchan.



Ingredients:

  • 1- 1.5 lb Korean radishes, julienned into 2-inch long strips
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
  • 2 Tbsp. red pepper powder
  • 2 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. pure sesame oil
  • 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce


Method:

1.  Put julienned radishes into a big bowl.  Add in 1 tsp. of salt, mix well and let it sit for 30 minutes.  Drain and gently squeeze the water out.  Place in another bowl.


2.  Add in cut scallion and the rest of the ingredients.  Mix well with your hands (wear a glove) or until the radishes are red from the red pepper powder.


3.  Keep in the refrigerator and serve as a cold side dish.  Should be able to keep up to two weeks in the refrigerator.

12 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I don't usually jump at radishes, but I love the flavors here! I'd jump!

Our Eyes Eat First said...

yummm... I love spicy anything and would love to try this!

Jocie's Mom said...

Very yummy dish! And extra bonus for one of your girls liking it :) Well done!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sound spicy and good!

chopinandmysaucepan said...

Love the crunch of this dish and such a great appetizer!

Unknown said...

Oh cool! You made your own banchan :D I can't believe I haven't tried jajangmyeon until now...being a K-drama fan and all...

Food For Tots said...

I'm still a stranger to Korean dish. Maybe it's time I need to learn to cook Korean food. The radish dish looks very appetizing! ;)

Cooking's Good said...

I am going to make this tomorrow, I love spicy and I have all the ingredients, white radishes too.

cakewhiz said...

i am not particulary fond of radishes but i like how this dish turned out and the mixture of all those flavors sounds divine!

daphne said...

It is certainly another good way to add radish into our diet. It looks amazing!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Ha Belinda. :)

Hope you like it, OEEF.

Thanks Parsley Sage. Yes, it's great to have a less picky eater at home. :)

It's great with rice Sonia.

Thanks chopinandmysaucepan.

Haha Rita, I have a jajangmyeon recipe coming up. Thanks to the K-drama too. :D

Thanks F4T, I am not very familiar too, but I like many of the dishes and it's so much cheaper to make it at home.

Great Cooking's Good, hope you like it!

Thanks cakewhiz, radish is quite an acquire taste.

Thanks Daphne. :) You were right, before that I seldom buy radish. :P

TheMadP said...

off to the korean market for me, need to pick up a radish or two