Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dried Laver Anchovies Soup (野生紫菜汤)


This was a soup I learned from my girlfriend while studying in university ages ago.  Both my hubby and I loved this soup a lot and now my two girls also loved it.  I even have this recipe published in a cookbook called The Best Soups in the World by Clifford A. Wright. 

This soup was not a stranger to a lot of people, it can easily be one of the rotation of the soups made at home.  But in case you don't know, I am sharing the recipe here.



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 of a round dried laver (a type of seaweed)
  • 1/4 cup dried anchovies, rinsed
  • 1/4 of a large carrot or 1/2 of small carrot, thinly sliced
  • 2 medium eggs or 1 large egg (add one more if you love egg), beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1000ml water
  • Salt to taste
  • Chicken stock powder to taste
  • (or you can use chicken stock instead of water and minus the chicken stock powder)


Method:

1.  In a pot, turn on heat and add in sesame oil.  Then, add in dried anchovies and stir-fry until slightly golden, add in water.  Let it boil.

2.  When boiling, turn the heat to low.  Wash the dried laver with cold water (if will soften when wash) and add it into the soup.  Stir well.

3.  Add in carrot, stir well.  Add in beaten eggs slowly to create egg drop effect.

4.  Season to taste with salt and chicken stock powder.  Skip this step if used salted chicken stock.  Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.



10 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

I love this soup!!!! And so coincident we both blog about this similar soup this week :) Mine is with minced pork and yours is anchovies :p

Belinda @zomppa said...

Wow. You always have the most incredible soups - soothing and healthy and flavorful!

daphne said...

I tasted it before but never home made.. Similar versions in shops outside. I didn't know it is so easy to do it at home!

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

a healthy and good soup!also easy to cook too!!must try one day to make this!

Unknown said...

niceeee sc's mama normally adds pork balls in this kinda soup. i love it!

tigerfish said...

I also like this soup. Back in Singapore, my family usually cooks seaweed and meatballs :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is how I prepare this soup too .

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

this must be a very healthy and wholesome soup..love the flavours!

Noob Cook said...

oh I love seaweed soup... and with anchovies, this soup is calcium laden, really healthy and delicious.

PreciousTeo said...

may i know where to buy dried laver?