Sunday, October 10, 2010

2-2-3-4-5 Braised Chicken


This dish was inspired by 1-2-3-4-5 Sticky Spareribs (Tang Chu Pai Gu).  Since I don't have spareribs and only chicken, I cooked it differently but with almost the same sauce except I increased the Shaoxing rice wine to 2 Tbsp.  Got to say, delicious!  Now I have one more chicken dish to serve my family.  :-)


I added tofu knots in mine.  If you don't have tofu knots in your area, you can omit it.  Or you can substitute it with Chinese dried mushrooms or dried beancurd sticks.  This sauce is so good with rice, you have to try this dish!





Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine
  • 2 Tbsp. Chinkiang vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. Kikkoman soy sauce
  • 5 Tbsp. water

  • Few pieces of smashed gingers
  • 3 or 4 chicken thighs or 8-10 chicken drumsticks, chopped into pieces
  • 1 bowl of tofu knots, soften in water, drained (optional)
  • EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or any oil

Method:

1.  In a heated pot, add in some EVOO and gingers.  Stir until fragrant.  Add in cut chicken pieces and brown it.

2.  Add in the 2-2-3-4-5 sauces and stir well.  Add in the tofu knots and let it simmer for an hour.

3.  Serve with the gravy.  Or take out all the chicken and tofu knots and reduce the gravy to half and pour on top of the chicken and tofu knots.  Serve with rice.  Delicious!!!


16 comments:

sock peng said...

a bit same like Ohbin's 4321
anyway, i will try your recipe soon.

Belinda @zomppa said...

This looks so simple, and yet sooooo comforting and flavorful. Going to try it!

pigpigscorner said...

I tried the 1-2-3-4-5 version with ribs, yum!

nyonya said...

Hi there. I don't mean to be rude, I love your blog and have learnt a lot from you but I have always been under the impression that one cannot heat EVOO, they are meant for salad and dipping bread. Should you want to use OO for cooking, use normal OO. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Unknown said...

huehuehuee i like the 22345 title :D it's like a product code or number from a chinese resto menu hehehe

MoB said...

wonderful! Was just wondering what else i can put in the dish besides chicken. haha

busygran said...

Interesting post headings! I was wondering what the numbers represented. Seems like a good one to try out but will do with pork ribs cos my hub doesn't like chicken.

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I was wonder isn't there a new item came out from market that I didn't miss or never heard b4 when I saw the #22345!! hahaha! creative title!

Noob Cook said...

the 2-2-3-4-5 makes it easy to remember the quantities. love this with steamed rice, very yummy looking.

Little Corner of Mine said...

SP, I went to check on her recipe and yes very similar instead.

Belinda, you are going to love it! :)

Pigpig, I haven't tried the 12345 with ribs, but should be yummy!

Nyonya, thanks for raising this question, here's the link for you to read: http://consumers.californiaoliveranch.com/health/mediterraneans-fry-w-evoo-use-it-for-all-sorts-of-cooking/

It's just a misinformation, lots of chefs used EVOO in cooking, even some in deep-frying. Since EVOO is more expensive, people would think it's a waste to use it in cooking or because of the low smoke point or unique smell. Anyway, it's up to the chef and no harm in using EVOO in frying.

Haha Rita.

Hope you like it masterofboots.

Busygran, pork ribs would do just fine. :) You can let the sauce thicken to coat the ribs.

Thanks Beachlover. :P

Thanks noobcook.

tigerfish said...

1-2-3-4-5, 2-2-3-4-5, like doing some exercise! I like it! To name a dish after that is definitely quite smart :)

minibaker said...

what is chinkiang vinegar? can i replace it with rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar which i have? Keep up your great blog!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hehe Tigerfish, but I am not the pioneer. :P

Thanks minibaker. ChinKiang vinegar is a Chinese black vinegar. You can use rice vinegar as a substitute.

Indonesia Eats said...

LOL this is a great name for a dish!!!!

Baking Fiend said...

fately have to agree with you... this looks absolutely delish! I think I'll love to have some chestnuts in it as well. LOL

natasya said...

Thanks for the link. That's very informative. I must say I have been missing out as I only use EVOO for dressings and detoxing. I guess I'll use it for frying too from now on. Thanks again.