Friday, April 18, 2008

Strawberry Muffins



How pretty is that color isn't it? I loved it! Strawberry is pretty cheap these days. I just bought 4lb. of strawberries for $4.99, pretty cheap right? Furthermore, it's really sweet and fragrant. I'm not someone who likes sour fruit like strawberry, kiwi, orange, etc. I prefer my fruit sweet. So, I'm really glad that this batch of strawberries are sweet. I decided to experiment again and made this strawberries muffins using this recipe from allrecipes.com but with slight modification.



I'm really low on baking powder, only about 1 tsp. left so I won't be able to follow the recipe. I used 2 cup of self-raising flour and omitted the baking powder. Added 1 tsp. of strawberry extract and 1 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries. Save some of the strawberries to put on top of the muffins before baking. The muffins turned out to be soft, moist, not very sweet and nice with slight strawberry fragrant. These muffins are sure an healthier alternative to cupcakes as no butter was used and only a little oil, one egg were used in making this. Good for my breakfast and tea time snack! Furthermore, my hubby loved it too!



For easy reference, I used: (Yield about 16-18 muffins)

(A)
2 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup sugar

(B)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. imitation strawberry extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup diced strawberries

(C)
1/2 cup diced strawberries to sprinkle on top

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400'F. Lined the muffin pan with paper cups.

2. Add (A) in a big bowl. Whisk to combined. Make a hole in the middle and add (B). Stir with a spatula until just combined. Scoop batter into the muffin pan and sprinkle the top with some diced strawberries.

3. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden.

I am also submitting my first photo to SnackShots # 3 : Muffin. My first entry and wish me luck! :)

22 comments:

Beachlover said...

Good luck!!Your Muffin color especially the strawberries look great!.

ting said...

Nice :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. Sorry this is not related to the above yummy strawberry muffins.

I just tried to make a bun using your sweet bun recipe (the pandan paste buns). I followed your recipe to the dot, (also using bread maker) but why does my dough turn out so sticky when I turn it onto the table top? They basically stick to everything. What could I have done wrong???

Greg said...

Oh, strawberries are one of my favorites! Your muffins look scrumptious.

Simonne said...

hi hi you've been tagged!

Little Corner of Mine said...

谢谢beachlover. I love the color too!

Thanks ting. :)

Hi muminmiri,
How would I know. :P But, if it's sticky, just spread some flour on the table top, turn your dough on it, sprinkle more flour on top of the dough and start kneading. You knead, add more flour as needed until a dough is formed and not sticky anymore. Then, separate into balls and let it proof for the 2nd time before baking.

Thanks Greg! I just bought another 4 lb. of strawberries. Right now the strawberry is sweet.

Oh hi Sukkimi, will head over after this. :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Urg Sukkimi, you enable your profile and I couldn't access your blog. Can you please provide the link? Thanks!

Big Boys Oven said...

OMG! this strawberry thingy of yours look so awesomely beautiful! the redness of the strawberry really killing me on the spot, so awesome intense, so attracted to be eaten yet so lovely to watch! the work of art!

tigerfish said...

Whoa.....what chunks of strawberries in those muffins...only in your house :)

daphne said...

Good luck!!! I'm going to enter the snapshot too. Have NO idea what to make yet. Yours look so pretty with the red strawberries!

Simonne said...

hi ,

sorry about that. here's the link
http://mybaking.blogspot.com/

Hey i love strawberry muffin too!
Thanks for posting this recipe.

Ling's Passion said...

Love the contrasting colour of red strawberry against the pale looking muffin. They look yummy. BTW, got a tag for you, pls check out my blog. Thanks.

Sweet Jasmine said...

these muffins looks so gooood....strawberries are my favourite....but sad to say it is so expensive over here...and those from cameron highlands are rather unripe and sour....

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh thank you BBOven! :D

Tigerfish, everybody can do it lah!

Thanks Daphne and good luck with you too!

You're welcome Sukkimi. Will do the tag soon ya.

Wah Ling, another tag ah...why so many tags all of a sudden. :P Will go check it out!

Thanks sweet jasmine. Over here we have season, when the fruit is in season, it gets very cheap. It will be all the melons/peaches/plum, etc on sales in Summer. Can't wait!

ICook4Fun said...

I love everything with strawberry :) Good lucky with your snackshots entry.

Unknown said...

such pretty muffins...hmm....can i hv a triple chocolate muffins? hehehe i just made sweet potato, coconut milk & palm sugar (kolak ubi) muffin...but...it is rectangular (!!!) let me buy muffin tray first hehehe

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Gert! :)

Rita, triple cho. muffins sound so sinful! Love your muffin and yes go get a muffin tray. :P

Dwiana P said...

strawberry muffin, never try before though but it sounds good. Eating muffin with a cup of coffee in the morning, oh .. that prefect!

Anonymous said...

Yummy ! I like sweet strawberry....

Little Corner of Mine said...

Dwiana, it's pretty good. :)

Janet, me too! Only like sweet strawberry and the sweeter it is, the more fragrant is the fruit. Such a sweet smell.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you can buy strawberries for so cheap in the USA. Here in the UK we pay about $4 for 1/2lb. Ridiculous! Thanks for participating in SnackShots and don't forget to check out the roundup soon!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Michelle. Will sure do, don't want to miss the roundup. :)